|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health
Ministry of Labour Ordinance No. 32 of September 30, 1972
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Ordinance No. 47 of March 30, 2007
Part II Safety Standards
Chapter VIII-3 Prevention of Dangers in Installing, etc. of Steel Bridges
Article 517-6 (Work Plan)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the workset forth in item (xv)-3 of Article 6 of the Order, establish in advance a work plan and carry out the work by the said work plan.
- (2) The work plan set forth in the preceding paragraph shall be the one describing the following matters:
- (i) The method and procedure of the work.
- (ii) The method for preventing members (including those composed of members) from falling or collapsing.
- (iii) The method of installation of equipment for preventing the worker engaging in the work from dangers due to falling.
- (iv) The type and capability of themachine, etc., to be used.
- (3) The employer shall, when having established the work plan set forth in paragraph (1), make the matters set forth in each item of the preceding paragraph known to the workers concerned.
Article 517-7 (Work of Installing, etc., of a Steel Bridge)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work set forth in item (xv)-3 of Article 6 of the Order, take the following measures:
- (i) To prohibit workers other than those concerned, from entering the area where the work is carried out.
- (ii) To suspend the work when dangers regarding the implementation of the said work are forecast due to bad weather conditions such as strong wind, heavy rain, and heavy snow;
- (iii) To have workers use lifting ropes, lifting bags, etc., when lifting or lowering materials, equipment or tools, etc.;
- (iv) When it is liable to cause dangers to workers due to fall or collapse of members or installing equipment, to take measures such as installing stays and attaching reinforcing materials to prevent the buckling or deformation of the members and the installing equipment.
Article 517-8 (Appointment of an Operations Chief of Installing, etc., of Steel Bridges)
- (1) The employer shall, as regards the work set forth in the item (xv)-3 of Article 6 of the Order, appoint an operations chief of installing, etc., of steel bridges from the persons who have completed the skill training course for operations chief installing, etc., of steel bridge.
Article 517-9 (Duties of an Operations Chief of Installing, etc., of Steel Bridges)
- (1) The employer shall have an operations chief of installing, etc., of steel bridges carry out the following matters:
- (i) To decide a work method and arrangement of workers, and supervise the work directly.
- (ii) To check the functioning of an instrument, a tool, a safety belt, etc., and a safety helmet, and remove defective ones.
- (iii) To monitor the use of a safety belt, etc., and a safety helmet.
Article 517-10 (Wearing of a Safety Helmet)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work set forth in item (xv)-3 of Article 6 of the Order, havea worker engaging in the said work wear a safety helmet in order to prevent the worker from dangers due to flying or falling objects.
- (2) The worker engaging in the work set forth in the preceding paragraph shall wear the safety helmet set forth in the same paragraph.