Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health
Ministry of Labour Ordinance No. 32 of September 30, 1972
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Ordinance No. 47 of March 30, 2007
Part IV Special Regulations
Chapter III Special Regulations Concerning Building Lessors
Article 670 (Emergency Exit, etc., for Common Use)
- (1) The lessor of the buildings set forth in Article 34 of the Act (hereinafter referred to as “building lessor”) shall, as regards the emergency exits or passages of the said building, or chutes, escape ladder and other equipment for evacuation, etc., in common use for two or more employers to whom buildings are leased, showing that such exits, etc., are for emergency use, and maintain such exits, etc., in a readily available condition.
- (2) The building lessor shall ensure that the emergency exits or passages set forth in the preceding paragraph are provided with sliding doors or opening out type doors.
Article 671 (Warning Facilities, etc., for Common Use)
- (1) The building lessor shall, when the employer to whom the said building is leased, manufacturers or handles dangerous substances or other explosive or flammable substances or when 50 or more workers of the employer to whom the said building is leased work within the said building, provide the said building with automatic alarm facilities, emergency bells, or other alarm facilities, or portable loud-speakers, manual sirens or other alarm tools to be used to give a warning to the workers promptly at an emergency, and maintain them properly functioning at all times.
Article 672 (Effective Maintaining of a Building Leased)
- (1) The building lessor shall, when leasing a building to be used as a factory provided with any of the equipment falling under the following items and when two or more employers to whom the building is leased use the part or the whole of the equipment in common, take necessary measures regarding checkup, repairs, etc., in order to maintain functional validity of part of the equipment common used:
- (i) Local exhaust ventilation system
- (ii) Push-pull type ventilation system
- (iii) General ventilation system
- (iv) Exhaust gas disposal device
- (v) Waste liquid disposal device
Article 673 (Water Supply Facilities of the Building Leased)
- (1) The building lessor shall, when leasing a building to be used as a factory which is provided with facilities to supply water for drinking or washing tableware, ensure that the water supply facilities prescribed by paragraph (9) of Article 3 of the Waterworks Act, or that they supply water complying with the water quality standards set forth in Article 4 of the same Act.
Article 674 (Draining Facilities of the Building Leased)
- (1) The building lessor shall, when leasing a building to be used as a factory that is provided with draining facilities, ensure that repairs and other necessary measures are taken so as to prevent the leakage of waste water due to the disturbance of the normal function of the draining facilities.
Article 675 (Cleaning, etc., of Buildings Leased)
- (1) The building lessor shall, when leasing a building to be used as a factory, ensure that, in order to maintain building sanitation, the measures listed in the following each item are taken for cleaning and controlling rodents, insects, etc., based on consultations with employers who use the building:
- (i) In addition to daily cleaning, to conduct general cleaning periodically once every period within six months in the standardized procedures.
- (ii) To periodically implement investigation on locations, habitats and invasion routes of rodents, insects, etc., and damages caused by them periodically once every period within six months in the standardized procedures, and take necessary measures to prevent infestation of rodents, insects, etc. based on the results of the said investigation.
- (iii) To use drugs or quasi-drugs that is approved pursuant to the provision of Article 14 or 19-2 of the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act when using rodenticides or insecticides to control rodents, insects, etc.
Article 676 (Provision of Convenience)
- (1) The building lessor shall, as regards the installation of local exhaust ventilation system, partitions for noise prevention and other necessary facilities for prevention of industrial accidents, when the employer to whom a building is leased requests the building lessor to give conveniences such as an approval to alter the building due to the installation of the said facilities, or use of the facilities necessary for the installing work of the said facilities, give such convenience to the said employer.
Article 677 (Lavatories of the Building Leased)
- (1) The building lessor shall, as regards the lavatories of the building to be leased which are in common use by two or more employers, to whom the building is leased, ensure that the lavatories comply with the standards prescribed by the each item of paragraph (1) of Article 628. In this case, the number of urinals and toilets to be provided corresponding to the number of workers shall be decided based on the total number of the workers of the employers who common use the lavatories.
Article 678 (Unification of Warning and Sign)
- (1) The building lessor shall set unified alarms to be used in case of emergency such as the outbreak of a fire, the leakage of a harmful chemical substance within the building leased, and make them known to the employer to whom the building is leased.
- (2) The building lessor shall, in the case where leasing a building to be used as a factory and when there exists an accident site, etc., listed in item (i), (iii) or (iv) of paragraph (1) of Article 640 in the building, set unified signs indicating the accident site, etc., and make them known to the employer to whom the building is leased.