|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
The Safety Ordinance for Cranes
(Ordinance of the Ministry of Labour No.34 September 30, 1972)
Chapter I General Provisions
- (1) In this Ordinance of the Ministry, the meanings of the terms listed in the following items shall be prescribed respectively in those items:
- (i) "Mobile crane" means a mobile crane set forth in item (viii) of Article 1 of the@Enforcement Order of the Industrial Safety and Health Act (Cabinet Order No.318 of 1972, hereinafter referred to as "the Order");
- (ii) "Lift for construction work" means a construction lift set forth in item (x) of Article 1 of the Order;
- (iii) "Light capacity lift" means a light capacity lift set forth in item (ix) of Article 1 of the Order;
- (iv) "Lifting capacity" means the lifting capacity set forth in Article 10 of@the Order;
- (v) "Loading capacity" means the loading capacity set forth in item (vi) of paragraph (1) of Article 12 of the Order;
- (vi) "Rated capacity" means the load being subtracted the load corresponding to the weight of a load-lifting attachment such as a hook and a grab bucket from the lifting capacity for a crane (excluding a mobile crane, the same shall apply hereinafter.) which is not equipped with a jib or a derrick which is not equipped with a boom, or from the maximum load which can be burdened corresponding to its structure and material, the inclination and length of a jib or a boom, or the position of a trolley on a jib for a crane which is equipped with a jib (hereinafter referred to as "jib crane"), a mobile crane or a derrick which is equipped with a boom;
- (vii) "Rated speed" means the maximum speed of motion of lifting, travelling, slewing, transverse of trolley, etc., while suspending a load with the weight corresponding to the rated capacity for a crane, a mobile crane or a derrick, and the maximum speed of motion of raising while getting a load with the weight corresponding to the loading capacity on a cage for an elevator, a lift for construction work or a light capacity lift.
Article 2 (Exemption of Application)
- (1) This Ordinance of the Ministry shall not apply to a crane, a mobile crane, a derrick, an elevator, a lift for construction work or a light capacity lift listed in the following each item:
- (i) A crane, a mobile crane or a derrick with lifting capacity of less than 0.5 ton;
- (ii) An elevator, a lift for construction work or a light capacity lift with loading capacity of less than 0.25 ton;
- (iii) A lift for construction work with loading capacity of 0.25 ton or more and also the height of the guide rails (hoist ways, in the case of lifts equipped with them) of less than 10 m;
- (iv) A lift for trap cellar, an elevator installed in the work place and office other than those listed in item (i) to (v) of the Appended Table 1 of the Labour Standards Act (Act No.49 of 1947), an elevator installed in the ships subject to the Ship Safety Act (Act No.11 of 1933) and an elevator placed mainly for the service of public use.