|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
The Safety Ordinance for Cranes
(Ordinance of the Ministry of Labour No.34 September 30, 1972)
Chapter III Mobile Crane
Section 3 Periodical Self-inspections, etc.
Article 76 (Periodical Self-inspections)
- (1) The employer shall, after installation of a mobile crane, perform self-inspections for the said mobile crane periodically once every period within a year. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the mobile crane, which is not used for a period of exceeding one year.
- (2) The employer shall, as regards a mobile crane set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection, before resuming its use.
- (3) The employer shall perform the load test on the self-inspection set forth in the preceding two paragraphs. However, this shall not apply to the mobile crane for which the load test pursuant to the provision of paragraph (1) of the Article 81 has been performed within two months before the said self-inspection, or the validity term of the mobile crane inspection certificate of which is to be expired within two months after the said self-inspection.
- (4) The load test set forth in the preceding paragraph, shall be done in such manners as performing motions with hoisting, slewing, travelling, etc., at the rated speed, while suspending a load with the mass corresponding to the rated capacity of the mobile crane.
- (1) The employer shall perform self-inspections for a mobile crane as to the following matters periodically once every period within one month. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the mobile crane, which is not used for a period of exceeding one month:
- (i) Abnormalities on over-winding preventive devices and other safety devices, overload warning devices and other warning devices, brakes and clutches;
- (ii) Damages on wire ropes and lifting chains;
- (iii) Damages on load-lifting attachments such as hooks and grab buckets;
- (iv) Damages on the wiring, switchboards and controllers.
- (2) The employer shall, as regards a mobile crane set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection, as to the matters listed in each item of the same paragraph before resuming its use.
Article 78 (Checkup before Commencing the Work)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work using a mobile crane, check up the function of over-winding preventive devices, overload alarm devices and other alarm devices, brakes, clutches and controls, before commencing the work for the day.
Article 79 (Records of Self-inspection)
- (1) The employer shall record the results of the self-inspections prescribed in this Section and reserve these records for three years.
Article 80 (Repair)
- (1) The employer shall, when any abnormality is found based on the self-inspection or the checkup prescribed in this Section, immediately repair.