|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
The Safety Ordinance for Cranes
(Ordinance of the Ministry of Labour No.34 September 30, 1972)
Chapter IV Derrick
Section 3 Periodical Self-inspections, etc.
Article 119 (Periodical Self-inspections)
- (1)The employer shall, after installation of a derrick, perform self-inspections for the said derrick periodically once every period within a year. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the derrick, which is not used for a period of exceeding one year
- (2)The employer shall, as regards a derrick set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection before resuming its use.
- (3) The employer shall perform the load test on the self-inspection set forth in the preceding two paragraphs. However, this shall not apply to the derrick, for which the load test pursuant to the provision of paragraph (1) of Article 125 has been performed within two months before the said self-inspection, or the validity term of the inspection certificate of which is to be expired within two months after the said self-inspection.
- (4)The load test set forth in the preceding paragraph shall be done in such manners as performing motions with hoisting, slewing and derricking of a boom under the rated speed, while suspending a load with the mass corresponding to the rated capacity.
- (1)The employer shallperform self-inspections for a derrick as to the following matters periodically once every period within one month. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the derrick, which is not used for a period of exceeding one month:
- (i) Abnormalities on over-winding protective devices and other safety devices, brakes and clutches;
- (ii) Conditions of setting winches;
- (iii) Damages on wire ropes;
- (iv) Abnormalities on the connecting parts of guy ropes;
- (v) Damages on the load-lifting attachments such as hooks and grab buckets;
- (vi) Damages on wiring, switches and controllers.
- (2)The employer shall, as regards a derrick set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection as to the matters listed in each item of the same paragraph, before resuming its use.
Article 121 (Checkup before Commencing Work)
(1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work using a derrick, check up the following matters before commencing the work for the day:
- (i) The function of over-winding preventive devices, brakes, clutches and controllers;
- (ii) The condition of parts where wire ropes reeve through.
Article 122 (Checkup after Storm, etc.)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work using a derrick installed out of doors, after the wind having instantaneous wind velocity of exceeding 30 m/s, or after the earthquake of medium intensity or heavier, check up in advance, the abnormalities in each part of the derrick.
Article 123 (Record of Self-inspection, etc.)
- (1) The employer shall record the results of the self-inspections and checkup prescribed in this Section (excluding the checkup set forth in Article 121) and reserve the records for three years.
Article 124 (Repair)
- (1) The employer shall, when any abnormality is found based on the self-inspections or the checkup prescribed in this Section, immediately repair.