|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
The Safety Ordinance for Cranes
(Ordinance of the Ministry of Labour No.34 September 30, 1972)
Chapter V Elevator
Section 2 Use and Operation
Article 147 (Providing with Inspection Certificate)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work using an elevator, provide the said elevator inspection certificate of the said elevator at the place where the said work is carried out.
Article 148 (Limitation of Use)
- (1) The employer shall not use an elevator, unless it complies with the standard prescribed by the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare (limited to the structural parts of the elevator).
Article 149 (Adjustment on Safety Device)
- (1) The employer shall adjust final limit switches, emergency stop devices and other safety devices in order to ensure their reliable operation.
Article 150 (Limitation on Overload)
- (1) The employer shall not use an elevator being loaded with the load over its loading capacity.
Article 151 (Information of the Operation Method)
- (1) The employer shall make the operation method and the measures in the case of trouble of an elevator (excluding the case when only the appointed operators are allowed to operate) known to workers who use the said elevator.
Article 152 (Measures in Storm)
- (1) The employer shall, when the wind having instantaneous wind velocity of exceeding 35 m/s is expected to blow, as regards an elevator installed out of doors, take measures such as increasing the number of stays in order to prevent the said elevators from collapse.
Article 153 (Erection Work, etc.)
- (1) The employer shall, when erecting or dismantling a hoist way, towers or guide rail towers of an elevator installed outdoors, take the following measures:
- (i) To appoint a person who supervises the work and to have workers carry out it undersupervision by the said person;
- (ii) To prohibit workers other than those concerning the work from entering the area where works are on-going and display a notice to that effect at a readily visible location;
- (iii) When dangers regarding the implementation of the work are forecast due to bad weather such as strong wind, heavy rain and heavy snow, not to have workers engage in the said work.
- (2) The employer shall have the person who supervises the work set forth in item (i) of the preceding paragraph carry out the following matters:
- (i) To determine the work method and the placement of workers and supervise the work;
- (ii) To check up defects in materials, the function of instruments and tools, and to remove defective ones;
- (iii) To watch the use of safety belts, etc. and safety helmets during work.