|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
The Safety Ordinance for Cranes
(Ordinance of the Ministry of Labour No.34 September 30, 1972)
Chapter V Elevator
Section 3 Periodical Self-inspections, etc.
Article 154 (Periodical Self-inspections)
- (1) The employer shall, after installation of an elevator listed in item (xvii) of paragraph (3) of Article 13 of the Order, perform self-inspections for the said elevator periodically once every period within a year. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the elevator, which is not used for a period of exceeding one year.
- (2) The employer shall, as regards an elevator set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection before resuming its use.
- (1) The employer shall perform the self-inspection for an elevator as to the following matters periodically once every period within one month. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the said elevator, which is not used for a period exceeding one month:
- (i) Abnormalities on final limit switches, emergency stop devices and other safety devices, brakes and controlling devices;
- (ii) Damages on wire ropes;
- (iii) Condition of guide rails;
- (iv) For an elevator installed out of doors, abnormalities on the connecting parts of guy ropes.
- (2) The employer shall, as regards an elevator set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection as to the matters listed in each item of the same paragraph before resuming its use.
Article 156 (Checkup after Storm, etc.)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work by using an elevator installed out of doors, after the wind having instantaneous wind velocity of more than 30 m/s or after the earthquake of medium intensity or heavier, check up in advance, abnormalities in each part of the elevator, before.
Article 157 (Record of Self-inspection, etc.)
- (1) The employer shall record the results of the self-inspection and the checkup prescribed in this Section, and reserve these records for three years.
Article 158 (Repair)
- (1) The employer shall, when any abnormality is found based on the self-inspection or the checkup prescribed in this Section, immediately repair.