|JICOSH was closed in 2008. For further information, please contact JISHA.
The Safety Ordinance for Gondola
(Ordinance of the Ministry of Labour No.35 September 30, 1972)
Chapter IV Periodical Self-inspection, etc.
Article 21 (Periodical Self-inspection)
- (1) The employer shall, as regards a gondola, perform the self-inspections for the following matters periodically once every period not exceeding one month. However, this shall not apply to the non-use period of the gondola that is not used for the period exceeding one month:
- (i) Abnormalities on over-winding preventive devices and other safety devices, brakes and control devices;
- (ii) Damage on a cantilever beam, an arm and a working floor;
- (iii) Abnormalities on raising/lowering equipment, the wiring and the electric panel.
- (2) The employer shall, as regards a gondola set forth in the proviso of the preceding paragraph, perform the self-inspection for the matters listed in each item of the same paragraph before resuming the use.
- (3) The employer shall record the results of the self-inspections set forth in preceding two paragraphs and reserve these records for 3 years.
Article 22 (Checkup before Commencing the Work)
- (1) The employer shall, when carrying out the work using a gondola, check the following matters before commencing the work for the day:
- (i) Damage and corrosion of wire ropes and fittings;
- (ii) If handrails, etc., is properly fitted;
- (iii) If wire ropes is properly fitted with a cantilever beam, raising/lowering equipment, etc., and a lifeline is properly fitted;
- (iv) Functions of an over-winding preventive device, other safety devices, brakes and control devices;
- (v) Functions of ratchet of raising/lowering equipment;
- (vi) Conditions of parts where wire ropes are reeving through
- (2) The employer shall, when carrying out the work using a gondola after the bad weather such as the strong wind, heavy rain, heavy snow, check up the matters listed in item (iii), (iv) and (vi) of the preceding paragraph before commencing the work.
Article 23 (Repair)
- (1) The employer shall, when having found any abnormalities at the self-inspection or checkup set forth in preceding two Articles, immediately repair.